The maltipoo (also called a maltese poodle hybrid) is a cross between the Maltese and the poodle. It’s not an official breed, but rather a general term used to describe dogs with these parent breeds. The price of a maltipoo puppy can vary depending on the breeder, the reputable breeders will cost anywhere from $350 to $6,000. The smaller breeders will charge less because they aren’t breeding for quality but rather just making money off of their puppies. Reputable breeders may charge more and have waiting lists in order to breed only when there is sufficient demand. They do require you to sign a contract stating you will take your puppy back if it turns out to have any health problems or if you can no longer keep it for whatever reason.
Things to know before buying a maltipoo puppy
- Prices for a maltipoo puppy can vary depending on the breeder, the reputable breeders will cost anywhere from $3,500 to $6,000. The smaller breeders will charge less because they aren’t breeding for quality but rather just making money off of their puppies.
- Health – Make sure the puppy you buy has been taken to a vet and has a clean bill of health. Any reputable breeder will have the puppy examined by a vet and will have the paperwork to prove it.
- Contract – Reputable Maltipoo breeders do require you to sign a contract stating you will take your puppy back if it turns out to have any health problems or if you can no longer keep it for whatever reason.
- Temperament – When you buy a Maltipoo puppy, you are getting a dog that will be with you for at least 10 years. Knowing its personality now will help you decide if it’s a good fit for your family.
What to look for in a breeder
- Reputation – The best way to find a reputable breeder is to ask people you know who have dogs and get recommendations from them. While there are online sites that allow you to search for breeders near you, you don’t really know anything about the breeder when you find them this way. A reputable breeder will have a website that is easy to navigate and full of information. They will also have a contract you must sign before taking a puppy from them. You can visit a breeder directory.
- Health of the puppies – The puppies should be clean, have shiny coats and be full of energy. They should be curious about their surroundings and not be skittish or shy.
- Health of the parents – Make sure the parents are healthy too. The breeder should show you the vet records for both the mother and father.
- Shedding – Some poodles are considered non-shedding and some are considered low shedding. Poodles are also known for shedding frequently.
- Temperament – Poodles are very intelligent dogs and can be very easily trained. They are friendly, active, and eager to please which makes them a great family dog.
- Size – Poodles can be anywhere between 8-16 inches tall and weigh anywhere from 9-35 pounds.
- Shedding – Most Maltese are considered non-shedding. You will find that most Maltese owners are wearing black clothing as opposed to jeans and hoodies.
- Temperament – This tiny dog is very friendly and loves to be around people. They are also very intelligent and can be easily trained.
Maltipoos are affectionate and playful dogs that thrive on human companionship. They are active and intelligent dogs that are best suited to families with older children. When buying a puppy, it is important to find a good breeder and do your research before bringing a new puppy home.